Tuesday, 23 July 2013

For Reals

Dress: Thrifted, Belt and necklaces: all gifts, Sandals: Timberland.

Sometimes I think about whether I'm presenting some sort of false image of myself here. I mean, I do wear every outfit that I blog, and sweat profusely into them too, these days. But, it's like I inevitably end up photographing the flashier ones - the ones with stuff from stores like Anthro and J.Crew, that is - and not bothering so much about the ones that came out of thrift stores and cost practically nothing. Not that I have that many thrifted things anymore, because I have become super picky about my thrifting. 


Because I've bought some pretty stupid stuff at thrift stores that I just ended up re-donating (yes, this is a verb now, I insist it is), I treat it as any other clothes shopping thing. Ask myself, will I really use this? Try to construct at LEAST three, if not five, outfits in my head with the thrift-store garment.Well, unless I fall madly in love with it and it happens to be dirt cheap, of course. That's how I ended up owning a pair of cowboy boots with the longest boot tips since the Leningrad Cowboys*. 


Like this dress, this dress was love at fist sight, and I've already blogged it a bunch of times. I love how versatile it is. I actually woke up wanting to wear it with my hot pink blazer, but it was way too hot, so I settled for a hot pink belt instead, plus some pink and green accessories. And it totally works, because this dress is magical. Not to mention it only cost me £11, which is like $17, for a dress I reach for all the time. So yeah, I do thrift, and I do try to shop responsibly. Just for the record, you know?  

*Incidentally, this is the Finnish band The Leningrad Cowboys. In case you were wondering:


4 comments:

  1. Great dress! It is very flattering and has an interesting element to it (its not just a simple/boring striped dress - it has some flare!). Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristin! I'm so glad you like this dress. It's my best thrift find ever. :)

      Delete
  2. I love the dress and how you off-set the bold black and white stripes with the funky, chunky belt and necklace. It changes the whole tone of the dress. I feel like the dress could be office appropriate or great for a night out, but I like that you've made it more boho and casual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I never thought of using this dress in an office situation, but of course you're right! With the right kind of conservative cardigan or blazer, it would totally work, thanks for the idea! :)

      Delete