Thursday, 5 September 2013

Almost Famous!


You might have exactly three questions running through your head right now. 
1. Is that a theatre review?
2. How the heck can she sit like that with her legs bent all weird?
3. What does that headline say, anyway?

To answer your first (supposed) question first... 
1: It's not a theatre review, it's a special feature one of the two city newspapers did on our play before we opened. Very helpfully, it did not include the list of performance dates. 
2: I'm doublejointed. Which is actually a lot less fun than it sounds, although it does lend itself to some pretty neat party tricks. But since my character is having this moment of... childish remeniscence and bonding with the boy she likes over some antique astronaut toys, I decided it'd be good if I sat in kind of a childish way. Also, it's super comfortable for me to sit like that. No, really! 
3. The headline is a big pack of lies. It says, "Translated for Three Weeks" and implies that I'm some sort of genius who translated the entire play from English to Norwegian in three weeks. As my character would say, "Uh, no." It took longer than that. Quite a bit longer. But you know, it makes me look like a little genius, so I guess I don't mind that much. 

And here's an unofficial fourth answer to an unasked question: How am I doing? Well, hanging on by a thread, sort of. I've presold some tickets, but not nearly enough to help me sleep well at night. I've also got a few promises to turn up, but promises mean nothing until the person is standing there and buying a ticket, along with every member of their family who isn't currently in hospital. Right?

All joking aside, there really isn't that much left of me. But I am doing all I can to stay positive, drum up more audience members and keep this thing afloat. Sometimes, all you can do is your best, and if we do fail, at least I can say I've given it my all. 

14 comments:

  1. Oh! That is such a lovely picture of you! And I am so glad you translated it, because I zoomed in. And then realized I have no idea what the heck it said. But it all sounded good! Genius is wonderful. Double jointed genius is better. Much, much better.

    Argh! I just like you. And I just really want you to succeed. And you really want you to succeed. And your friends really want you to succeed. And your husband... And your family... And well, you get what I am saying. Why can't that be enough? I am so hoping the play is a success. That you get your rest. And that all of your double jointedness gets to have fun.

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, really? That picture makes me squirm! I don't know why it embarrasses me so much, it's silly. I have to translate the whole shebang at some point to send it to the author's agency, I can always send the translation to you too if you like? I want to put double-jointed genius in my "about" sidebar now! :)

      Thank you for being so supportive and awesome, you have no idea how much you've cheered me up, when I've been pretty far down in the basement, as they say in Norway! I'm back in London for a little while now, which is wonderful. I can finally relax and be with Victor again. :)

      Delete
    2. Yay! Yes, please send me the translation! I would love that. And if you don't list double jointed as a talent, you are doing a disservice to yourself. ; )

      Keep your beautiful smile. It will all work out. (Knock on wood).

      Jenni

      Delete
    3. Okay then, Blue Delft! Consider it done, when I've actually done it! ;) And thank you, I will bend over backwards (pun! not actually gonna happen) to make it all work! :)

      Delete
  2. Way to go, you genius! Love the picture. Hang in there! I'll be thinking of you this weekend and wishing you lots of success. Wish I were closer:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, hot mama! (I hope it's okay that I call you that?) And look, success! Telepathy works, I get to do the last two shows after all! ;)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks hon! I was rather tempted to break a certain actor's leg instead, haha! But now he's behaving himself again! :)

      Delete
  4. Super exciting! I hope it goes well for you! I will be sending you good vibes as well as trying to send you audience members via mind tricks.

    The past few Sundays I've gotten up, read a few of your posts, and commented...only to realize that no, my iphone will not let me submit a comment. How I repeatedly forgot this, three weeks in a row, is beyond me. I'll blame it on sleepiness. So anyways, this morning I hopped onto the desktop so I would be certain I could actually post something! It was nice catching up on all of your recent outfits and happenings! :-)

    - Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz! Babe! Your good vibes and mind tricks made it all the way to Norway, because look, even the most stubborn of the two other actors changed his mind, and the show's been saved!

      Aw, shame about your iphone not liking me very much! But then it can probably sense I'm a PC person and not a Mac person - it's like being a cat person vs a dog person, you know? The iphone is intelligent, it KNOWS. ;)

      Seriously though, I need to pop by your blog and have a good read, and now that I'm not doing a headless chicken impression I will hopefully find the time to do just that! :)

      Delete
  5. You rock sweetie! Go get 'em! Cloud, Tifa and I are cheering for you!
    *squish*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks pussycat, both to you and your "kids"! Now that we're playing those last two shows, maybe you could see about catching one! (hint, hint ;) )

      Delete
  6. Way to go Gwen!! I wish I could read the newspaper, but it looks positive and you look pretty amazing on the front page!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sayaka! I could always just post the translation here, since I have to do one anyway? ;) I'm glad you think I look good, that picture still makes me so embarrassed for some reason! ^_^;

      Delete