Friday, 20 September 2013

And... action!

 
To cough up my favourite quote from Team America: "Watch out! She's going to act!"
I was so touched earlier, when a whole bunch of you said you'd totally come see my play if you lived in the same hemisphere as me, and then I thought, maybe I can do the next_best thing! So here are some photos from the first scene I'm in.
 

 
Here Warren, the main character, is showing off his collection of memorabilia to my character, Jessica. Jessica loves his Major Matt Mason toys, they remind her of the toys her cousins wouldn't let her borrow when she was little. She's not quite so impressed with his antique toaster, which Warren loves so much that he's given it a name. Toaster Amazing. Nerd, much?
 

 
They talk about all sorts of stuff, then Warren puts on a record, and they dance. Suddenly Warren asks, "Would you be terribly offended if I kissed you for a few seconds?" Flustered, Jessica replies, "Well no, but like, what's the rush?"
But this kiss has been in the cards all night, and they both know it. And sure enough...
 

 
...there will be smooching. Now, before you get too shocked, what with me being a married woman and all, let me assure you that the kissing is all fake. We sort of mash our open mouths together and make grunty noises. It's pretty convincing in person. The other actor in the group got so uncomfortable during one rehearsal that when we came up for air, we found him behind a pillar, covering his face and whimpering. We literally acted him into submission! Also, Victor has watched it, and he finds the whole think kind of funny. So there you go!

12 comments:

  1. I so wish I could see your play! Thanks for sharing this little bit of it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And I'm so glad you liked it! I wish you could've come too, I'd have given you a crash course in Norwegian! ;)

      Delete
  2. Yay! Thank you Gwen for sharing! I loved it all and I want to see that play! It looks so good. And you look beautiful! I loved your description if the kissing. I know I wouldmhave absolutely no idea how to "fake it." You are so talented!

    Congratulations! I am in awe of you. You are just too cool!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, hon! We had our final show tonight, and we actually had a pretty big audience, and it was just a joy to act in it, from start to finish. I am SO GLAD we got to do the last shows. Thanks for saying I look beautiful, that really made me smile. And for saying I'm cool. :)

      It was actually the actor playing Warren who taught me how to fake-kiss, you know - we went to different drama Schools and mine never taught that! ;) The whole thing really horrified me at first, but he was very understanding and Professional about it, and in the end it was just like executing dance moves.

      Delete
  3. Aw, sounds like it was fun - thanks for sharing the first act with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and you're welcome, Lisa! It really was a lot of fun in the end. Makes (almost) all the trouble worth it! ;)

      Delete
  4. Hi Gwen!
    How awesome that you got to wear Anthropologie in you play. I got to wear the Monochromatic Corset Dress (turned backwards) as part of a costume for The Marriage of Figaro (straight version). I posted it to Reader Outfits on Effortless Anthropologie last spring.
    LOL - you described stage kissing the same way I do - a mash up.
    Are you with a theatre company in London? Anything up next that you are excited about?
    xo,cynthia (another theatre gal)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I remember you! That backwards dress was awesome, which character did you play? (I'm guessing Susanna or Barbarina?)
      I'm not with a company in London, sadly - I was in a group in Norway, which was formed specifically to put on This is Our Youth, but I'm not sure when I'll work with those guys again. I'm looking to start a new group in London now, though! :)

      Delete
    2. I was going to be Susanna at first but my company didn't have a Countess so I got to play Countess Almaviva instead - which was so fun! I'm way to old to be Barbarina!

      I just found out that in London you all say "prose" or "lyric' to distinguish between a musical and a non musical. A prose play sounds much more classy than a straight play.

      Oh - you should start a theatre company!!!
      xo,cynthia

      Delete
    3. I will start a new group! As soon as I recover from this production, haha!

      It's a funny coincidence, but for my singing lessons back in the day, I trained with an opera singer and she had me singing both Barbarina and Cherubino's arias! In Italian - now that was fun! ;)

      Delete
  5. Gwen you look beautiful!! Is that the dress you wore in the actual play? I love the pictures of your rehearsal!! For a second I was like "hey that's not Gwen's husband" hehe, and then quickly realized that it was pictures from your play....thank goodness....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! I did wear that dress in the play, yes! For the first act. :) And how funny, thank goodness indeed eh? I saw closeup photos of the kiss and they look crazy realistic! Don't worry, Victor watched us "make out" and not only did he not mind, he was trying to give the other guy tips on how to make it look hotter! ;)

      Delete