Thursday, 3 October 2013

Eggplants and Satsumas!


So this is what I wore to the theatre on Sunday, after Victor had surprised me with tickets to Siro-A. This outfit makes me think of eggplants and satsumas, and just wearing these colours together made me happy.  
But as for Siro-A. How to explain them and what they do? It's impossible to do in one sentence, since they've basically created their own genre. You can see a little montage of some of their acts here, and let me just say, it had been ages since I had so much fun! Because these guys are seriously nuts. But in a wonderful way!


There are four performers who work on stage, and two more members of the group who do sound track and video projection that the performers interact with. Sometimes it's impossible to tell what's a real person on stage, and what's a projection. These guys, like, bend reality, man! The stuff they do makes you think of 90's clubbing, of retro arcade games and Daft Punk.  


One act involves one performer dancing with maybe ten multicoloured versions of his own shadow. Another has three of them playing around with one member's name - Abe Toshinori. There is a whole song dedicated to him, that even tells you his pin number, his phone number, and zooms in on his house from outer space. It ends with the whole Abe family, grandparents, pet dog and all, waving at the audience.  


 It just makes me happy that I live in a city where you can watch shows from all over the world, and all you have to do is hop on a bus. And smuggled popcorn from a neighbouring cinema into the theatre concealed in your wife's handbag, if your name happens to be Victor... 

8 comments:

  1. The show sounds so fun! You were sporting eggplant and teal the other week, and now eggplant and yellow. You've got an eye for color, miss! :-)

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, hon! :) I'm off to Hong Kong now (no joke, I'm typing this in the airport) with a suitcase that's got mostly pink items in it, that and stripes + polkadots, we'll see how well I do with that, eh? ;)
      And if Siro-A ever go to the States, I urge you to go see them! It's a show that makes you so happy! :)

      Delete
  2. I love those colors on you! So pretty! They make your eyes pop! I think it is the eggplant, but it could be the yellow. Both are beautiful.

    Your husband is awesome! That sounds like incredible fun!

    Off to Hong Kong! Oh my gosh! Have a magical adventure! That sounds fantastic!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, thank you! :) I am bound to recycle this outfit, because I loved wearing it. Those colours made me happy!
      Victor is MADE OF AWESOME. Siiigh. :)
      And the reason we're in Honkers is that we're stopping over on the way to his sister's wedding in Australia, and taking the chance to see family in both cities. We've been having a lot of fun for the few days we've been here! :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like fun! LOVE the color combo. It works really well and of course those shoes are just the icing on the cake:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the shoes make the outfit, eh? ;) Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a cute outfit Gwen!! I love the yellow and satsuma together. Perfect fall colors and those shoes....so cute!! I love them more each time you wear them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sayaka!! I've been wearing them barefoot here in Hong Kong, they are even more fun (and weird!) like that! I think the store has them in mustard now, and some other colours, you could totes get your own pair!

      Delete