Sunday, 27 October 2013

Harajuku-style!

Jacket: UniQlo, Top: J.Crew, Necklace: Kie&Kate, Skirt & bag: from Norway, Shoes: Anthro

So you know when you're on holiday and you've had the chance to do laundry maybe once or twice, but that was a couple of destinations ago and now you're running out of clean things to wear...? Yeah. But I actually ended up liking this slightly mish-mashed outfit! Eclectic, that's what I'm going to call it! 


We took these pictures in Tokyo's Harajuku district, which as you may know is the place to go people-spotting, especially on a Sunday. People walk around in clothes they made themselves, or thrifted, or bought in any number of the stores there. You get lots of Gothic Lolita people, sure, but there are so many more creative and inspiring looks to sneak a peek at while you're there! Though sadly, we went on a Monday, so we didn't get the full parade, as it were. Though we still ran into a guy in Starbucks who looked like a preppy Elf as he met up with a female friend. "Friends don't let friends go outside looking like they work for Santa," Victor whispered in my ear.  


And speaking of making new friends... check out this lovely lady, haha. Somebody made her just for fun, I think - and put her between two shops so you had no idea who she even belonged to. Actually, looking at that blue cable snaking out from under her skirt, I think she belonged to the store on her left. And that makes me wonder if she actually lights up after dark?! Harajuku is cool because it's just overflowing with creativity, so I wouldn't put it past the people there to construct a huge Day of the Dead skeleton lady that glows in the dark just because they can. .  


And finally, here's one I took for my favourite alpaca lover! Best doorstop ever, eh Jenni? 

8 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Jenni and her alpaca farm visit! I love it!

    I would love to go see all of the Harajuku girls. Gwen Stefani's L.A.M.B. was my soundtrack my freshmen year in college! The styles just look so quirky and twee and playful. I'd love the Sunday fashion parade!

    While you told us your outfit is a "what's left mish-mash", I wouldn't have guessed it. You really do have an eye for mixing colors and prints in the coolest ways. Maybe I'm trying too hard to pick pieces that coordinate, and I should instead grab a handful of unrelated pieces and see how some of them work together. Maybe I should also try working with three different colors, instead of just two. I have a lazy day ahead of me...I think I'll play around in my closet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, go back and read the comments on her post! You will see the source of even more alpaca humor! ;)

      Well thank you, I'm glad you liked it! I kind of like putting things together that don't match too much, and my rule is trying to *limit* myself to three colours, haha! Let me know if you come up with something cool!

      Delete
  2. Oh so lucky, I wish I could have the opp to go to Tokyo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tokyo is the awesomesauce! I can definitely recommend it!

      Delete
  3. That is so awesome! I need one! And did you make your famous noise? I must know! Because you had to. You just had to. So cool! Thank you for the smile tonight!

    I love your outfit. I like that you pull together outfits and they just always look good. And fun. And like "Gwen." I think everything does go together. It is eclectic chic. Which is ALWAYS better than regular old boring chic.

    How fun is that darn street? You and your adventures. How fun! I am beyond jealous.

    Thanks again for the smile. You always deliver!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I sidled up to Victor and whispered the noise in his ear. And he rolled his eyes at me, but he was grinning.

      So glad you liked the outfit, and that you think I've got a cohesive style! That was always my goal with blogging, to try and work out what was "me" and so on.

      Yeah, Takeshita Dori (which I think was that street) and the rest of Harajuku are pretty cool. There's also a beautiful forest park with a huge, peaceful temple right behind Harajuku. :)

      And hey, no worries babe! I hope things are better now, klems! :)

      Delete
  4. Yay!! So that was Harajuku!! That town so much fun....I agree people watching can get pretty interesting in that city...at least they don't bite like the deers in Nara, so you can stare all you want...hehe.
    I'm so happy your having fun and your looking hip and chic Harajuku style too!! Love the whole outfit Gwen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harajuku is awesome! It always makes me feel so inspired. I have a couple of those FRUITS books with streetstyle pictures from Harajuku, I'm always amazed when those people say they made their own clothes. And yeah, no biting there, hehe.
      And I'm glad you think I looked cool enought to fit in there! Thank you! :)

      Delete