Thursday, 19 December 2013

Asakusa Nostalgia


So it turns out I've been married to a Chinese Christmas Nazi all this time, which came as a bit of a surprise. We're hosting a Christmas party - well okay, two Christmas parties - and there are Preparations to be made.  You should have seen him this afternoon, cutting the turkey in half with our big cleaver while shouting "HADOUKEN!!" So I've been too busy to take outfit photos, but luckily we found these pictures from what, three months ago now, on his phone. Talk about saving them for a rainy day!


This was one of those hodgepodge outfits that come from living out of a suitcase for three weeks - but I was good, and made sure my stuff more or less co-ordinated when I packed... Like, I have never packed such a good suitcase in my life. So yeah, peachy top and belt, turquoise laces and stripes on the skirt, there are even bits of purple in my scarf to go with the shoes. It was cold though, and I regretted not wearing jeans as soon as we came out of the underground station - hah!


Out of all the areas in Tokyo - and Tokyo, to paraphrase Owen Wilson, is what you would call very, very big - Asakusa is my absolute favourite. In part that has to do with a novel I read, where the main character grew up in Asakusa, and his descriptions of  the place just made me see it all so clearly in my mind's eye. But a lot of it is also down to the strange, shonky charm of the place itself. Just a couple of blocks away from the temple complex where we took these pictures, there was a fair set up in somebody's courtyard, complete with an ancient carousel that swung the chairs right over peoples' roofs. Don't believe me?


I still wonder what it would've been like to take that ride. I bet you could look right inside peoples' windows and watch them cook dinner, or catch a glimpse of what they were watching on TV! And if there was somebody you were dying to burgle who just happened to live within the circumference of that carousel - why, you'd be a fool not to pay the 2-300 yen for the ride, right?  

10 comments:

  1. It all works so well! I love it. It is cheerful, but muted at the same time.

    Does the carousel work? Could you actually still pay to ride it? It seems so fantastical (and incredibly scary). I am obsessed with it. What book was it that you read? I am currently reading "The Lies of Locke Lamora."

    Have you read it?

    You look great in that top by the way!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks honey! Co-ordinated hodge-podge, maybe that's what I should call this look? ;)

      Yeah, that carousel works. We watched it swivel. I think it was a kind of slow and stately swivel, since we managed to get a pretty good picture of it! ;)

      The book I read was called Strangers by Taichi Yamada. I love it to an unprecedented level. And yeah, I have sort of read the Lies of Locke Lamora - I got about halfway through it, then all those lovable rascals started dying like flies, and I got so upset I just stashed the book away somewhere. I'm kind of pathetic sometimes when it comes to favourite characters dying!

      Delete
  2. you look so cute in this outfit! love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! How lovely of you to comment! :)

      Delete
  3. Fabulous color combo! Aren't these shoes wonderful? Definitely a purchase I don't regret for a second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither! Well, I did regret it a little while I was walking them in, hehe. ;) But now, they fit like they were melded to my feet.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing this rainy day post with us :) I love the outfit and shoes!! I love when you share pictures of your trip with us! I recall riding that ride a long time ago, but I can't remember if we can see inside people's houses :) hehe. I'm sure it's possible though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sayaka, that made my day! I think you need to take one for the team and go on that ride the next time you're in Tokyo, armed with binoculars, of course! ;)

      I want to pull myself together and do another post of pictures from Japan. But right now Victor is making me do laundry with him. Stupid man! ;)

      Delete
  5. Gwenny Gwen Gwen...I'm anxiously awaiting your holiday outfit posts! It's been a crazy few weeks visiting with friends and family, but I'm trying to get caught up on all my blog reading today. I have such a backlog of outfit posts I still need to get up, too.

    Not sure how timely my Christmas Eve dress is going to be if I don't write about it until February...

    I remember loving this skirt from an earlier outfit post, and you know I love how you've brought it to its full pastel potential with the other items you paired with it.

    Happy New Year, Miss Lady!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, Liz - you know, I don't actually think I wore that many holiday outfits... no wait, I wore a couple for our two pre-Christmas parties, but nothing on actual Christmas or New Year's. (This is partially due to the dress I was planning to buy in San Fran having sold out in my size. I did not pack a single dress for that trip, in order to save luggage space for the golden panther dress of my dreams.) I did, however, kind of dress up for Victor's birthday, which is more important to me than Christmas and New Year's put together. But of course we didn't take pictures of that...

      And yeah, this is another one of my "Liz" outfits, isn't it? And "full pastel potential" is as awesome a phrase as I ever heard. XD Happy New Year to you too, babe!

      Delete