Friday, 13 December 2013

My Nerd Shirt


Last week one of my oldest friends came to stay with us, with her husband in tow. I mean, this girl and I have literally been friends since we were snot-nosed first-graders. She's very much into her classical styles and cuts, so when I asked her what she thought about my outfit here, she said, "Your shirt is nice!" Hah! This is another reason I love that girl, she will say exactly what she means. I still like this outfit, though!
And the best thing of all about this baby is, it's rayon so a) I can sweat all I want and it still doesn't reek (sorry, tmi much?) and b) I can wash it in the evening and it'll be dry by the next morning!  


This shirt, the Alexis button-down, was one of those pieces that never made it to the UK branch of Anthropologie, but oh, how I kept wishing it had! It went on sale, I forced myself to ignore it... and then I found it on ebay. I've realised that I have a thing for, what should I call it, quasi-military clothes? Because this shirt just reminds me of old-style turn of the century military uniforms, with the front placket and fake epaulettes. Also, embarrassingly, the name of the shirt is the name of my favourite character in this video-game I've been playing - that's how the damn thing caught my eye in the first place! Alexis Hilden is a girl pretending to be a boy, and I've levelled her up to  the point where she carries a greatsword that's taller than she is. I'm blushing even as I type this. But I can assure you, she can kill anything.  AHEM. 


I paired the Alexis Buttondown with my good old wide-legged Kaz-pants for some 70's inspired goodness, and then I climbed over my friend's suitcase to get out on the balcony, shoved all the mess out there into one corner (but you can still see it peeking out here, d'oh!) and took a handful of photos literally at the speed of light. Because the last things you want to do are freeze to death while taking blog photos OR be caught doing it by your friends who don't know you have a blog - am I right?

Also, damn but my updo is a mess! I need to learn how to make a sock-bun! 

8 comments:

  1. I thought I was the only one who didn't talk about my blog except on my blog! lol It's like Fight Club rule #1: you don't talk about Fight Club! ha! My Facebook friends know I have one because my Wordpress account links to Facebook and posts whenever I write a new entry. But my new friends and acquaintances I've met in Savannah...they don't know. Because I don't want them to think I'm a self-obsessed person until they learn that I'm a self-person in real life first!

    Now that you mention it and now that I reflect on it, I can totally see military style influencing your look. It's the antidote to your quirky, colorful, kitschy stuff. Keeps you grounded as a fashion force to be reckoned with! Viva la Gwenvolution!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA! Yes, exactly that! I'm lucky in that I refuse to have a facebook account, so I can be more sneaky and secretive. Um, ninja stealth blogging, is that what we should call what we do? ;)

      And aw, I'm blushing! Thank you for saying that. You know what, though, I agree, a bit of military order is the perfect antidote to all my multicoloured madness. Maybe that's why I like it! Or it could have something to do with how I'm way too fond of stories and games with a military theme... which is so weird, because I'm totally anti army anything! What can I say, my brain is strange...:)

      Delete
  2. A lot of my friends don't know I have a blog either, ah well. People who don't blog don't tend to "get it."

    Regardless, your shirt IS awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Norway, people really hate on style blogs - like, a LOT! People up there think it's all about showing off and being superficial and blah blah. So I'd be mortified if my mother ever found out!
      Anyways, thank you! It's getting a lot of wear right now, hehe.

      Delete
  3. Yep, you are not alone. A lot of (most of) my friends don't know I have a blog. As Lisa mentioned, I think most people wouldn't get it and I don't really want to deal with the awkwardness of trying to explain it. Love the shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a weird way, it's nice to know I'm not alone. I've told two(!) of my friends about it, and one of them then redesigned the blog for me, so that worked out well, then! ;)

      Delete
  4. Okay ,wait. Your mom doesn't know you have a blog? I am so incredibly horrible with secrets, there is no way I could keep that one. Too funny. My friends certainly don't quite get why I have a blog. Some are super supportive, though. I do not like to discuss it with them. When it is brought up, I change the subject. I am embarrassed to like doing it.

    Your military shirt is so wonderfully fantastical. I just love it. Like a lot, a huge lot.

    And I am having a Christmas party, too. Well, actually, I am hosting Christmas Eve dinner for my family. Then on Saturday night, I am having a girls pajama movie night at my house. It is usually super fun. Everyone stays until early morning while we chat and drink. Then I inevitably fall into the Christmas tree and pass out in the bathroom. Good times!

    I can't wait to hear about your parties. Hopefully, you have more discipline than I do. Just look at your shirt!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenni! I'm so sorry I forgot to reply to this! Yeah, most of my Norwegian friends don't know either, because people really look down on style blogging in Norway. Seriously. They think it's all a bunch of fake people getting dressed up to show off their Chanel online. And like you, I'd be embarrassed to discuss it with people, heh.
      Glad you like the shirt. It came with me to San Fran, it's just so versatile and wonderful. The parties went well, but now I kind of want to come to one of your parties, just to see you dive head first into a Christmas tree. Don't worry, I'd fish you out! ;)

      Delete