Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Of Mothers and Sweaters

Sweater: Briarwood pullover, Anthro, Necklace: Pam Hiran c/o Sayaka :) ,
Cords: AG Stevies, Boots: from Norway

So my mother came to visit us for a few days, and I had no time left over for the internet... Which wasn't actually a bad thing at all, since we had a blast. She's been lonely since my dad died just before Christmas, and wanted to be alone for a while to lick her wounds, as it were - and since my choices were to let her do that, or start World War Three, she got her wish. But now, she's finally coming out of her shell a little - she's even started taking classes at the university, to finish the degree I so rudely interrupted when she had me - uh, pardon me for being born, is all I can say, heh. 


I seriously still can't believe she was only here for four days, because we packed so much into those days - we went to see the Cheapside Hoard, a cache of Elizabethan jewellery that was found in the basement of a demolished house in 1912 at the Museum of London. We saw the Vikings exhibition at the British Museum, went to St. Paul's Cathedral and ate pancakes bigger than our own heads at the Old Dutch Pancake House. Not to mention we hit up her favourite Cuban tapas bar and I got somewhat hammered on mojitos - only me, mother and Victor are both all but indestructible where alcohol is involved.  

Yup, still obsessed with this necklace - wouldn't you be? ;)

One of my favourite parts of her visit, though, was when we went to the cinema to watch The Grand Budapest Hotel. Not only did I get to introduce my mother to Wes Anderson, I also got to introduce her to Ben & Jerry's, which she'd never had before - and she loved both. She also told me about the last time she'd been to the cinema in London, and that had been back in the 1970's sometime. She and my dad caught the last performance of the day, so after the movie was done, they played God Save The Queen and everyone in the audience had to stand up! Back then, that was common practice, apparently. Times sure have changed!


Also, say hello to my brand new Briarwood sweater that I just scored on sale. I'd been stalking this one since she first hit the stores late last year, since I was in the market for a new white cable-knit sweater, and you can't go wrong with Sparrow. She's awesome, since she pretty much goes with everything, and she's soooo soft and warm! As you can see, we had some pretty torrential rains today, but my sweet Briarwood kept me nice and snug - and yes, of course my sweater is a she. Can't you tell? My cords are male though...  Of course they are. 

10 comments:

  1. That's great that your mom was feeling up to a visit and that you had such a fun time together. Mother/daughter time is so important, especially after the loss of your dad. It's always nice when good things pull you away from your social media addiction and get you to live in the moment a bit more.

    Anyways, love this color palette. It's muted but feels very balanced and cozy and nice. You know what I mean? Leave it to a good statement necklace to snazz things up, and those booties. Oooooh, those booties. I like!

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally get it, Liz. And it was so lovely to see her again, and to show her a good time. Plus, I sometimes forget how much there is to see and do here in town, so it was fun and educational to get to play tourist for a while. Even if I couldn't quite shake my Instagram addiction... ;)

      I know exactly what you mean re: balance. The hem and armbands on the sweater balances the boots, and the big stone in the necklace balances the cords. I felt very harmonious in this outfit! ;)

      Delete
  2. I adore visiting fam - it must have been a real treat to have your mother visit! It sounds like you both have a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did! She's even promised to come back soon - she's just going to climb Machu Pichu first. No joke. My mummy is unstoppable. ;)

      Delete
  3. Ah... Gwen... I am so sad to hear that you lost your dad. How wonderful that you got to spend some time with your mom. Time spent with our families gets more precious as time marches on, I find.
    What are the names of your sweater and cords? May I suggest Juliet and Romeo?
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hon - that was back in December though, the day before Christmas in fact, so I've had a lot of time to process it. :) I know exactly what you mean, it's doubly precious because my mum lives in Norway, so I can't just hop on a bus to her house...
      Romeo and Juliet are good suggestions, but their actual names are Briar and Wes. Just looking at what I'm writing here is making me question my own sanity... I don't name all my clothes! ;)

      Delete
    2. Gwen - you are talking to a person who has a blog about a talking cat. I do believe I have you beat in the insanity department. LOL!! Hello Wes and Briar!
      xo,cynthia

      Delete
    3. That's true. At least my clothes don't talk back. You win the crazy prize today! ;)

      Delete
  4. I am so happy she is letting you in. And breaking free a bit to visit you. She needs that and so do you. And I always think when you mention that Cuban restaurant that I would totally drink the buy one get one! Yum!

    I agree on both counts about naming your clothes. I like to put a name to everything. Briar and Wes are perfect names. I do not know why they create tears of mirth in my eyes. I just get a kick out of it, I suppose!

    Love your sweater. I cannot believe it is still cold enough to wear one! I was missing having a winter, but now I am full speed ahead into spring!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know, babe! It is like a stone being taken from my heart. Being able to show her a good time and make sure she's eating properly felt really good. And yeah, you'd be there with one mojito in in each hand, wouldn't you! ;) That was kind of me last week - I poured what was essentially water into the others' glasses from the surplus mojito, and then I drank all the alcohol. Because I'm smart like that. Victor literally had to steer me towards the bus!

      Oh, it cracks me up too, that I'm nuts enough just to look at my cords and go, "Of course, if they were a person, he would be called Wes." Briar is short for Briarwood, of course. She's so lovely, she deserves a pet name. ;)

      It's actually a leeettle bit warmer now! So today I could choose between a jacket and a sweater! Spring is definitely trying to claw its way out through the concrete over here as well!

      Delete