Sunday, 27 April 2014

My First Peplum

Jacket: Bossini, Peplum top: Anthro, Scarf: Gap, Jeggings: UniQlo, Shoes: Clark's.

So "my first peplum" is a bit like "my first Barbie", no? To me, anyway, both are equally memorable because both are things I spent years thinking I couldn't have. My parents didn't approve of Barbie dolls - and I get their reasoning 100% - but you know, all my friends had them, and I thought they were so pretty. So my first Barbie, I bought at age 10 for some of my holiday money when my family stayed in Germany. She was from a grocery store and cost next to nothing, and I remember my mom sighing and saying, "Well, it is your money..."             

I call this pose the Double-Sided Teapot.

Anyway, I never thought I'd see the day when I'd be wearing a peplum, because childbearing hips + peplum usually = I look enormous. But somehow, I felt all right in this particular top. Maybe it's because the little skirt hits me in the right spot, or because the spots are angled differently on the sides - you can tell a lot of thought went into the construction of this top. Since it's a little cold for bare arms yet, I paired it with this slouchy blazer I got in Hong Kong a few years ago. This jacket is seriously weird, but I love it! 


Finally, I should note that this outfit, thanks to it being April and the weather being so unpredictable, is responsible for me catching the Flu of Epic Death. I have this really interesting cough now - I'll be completely still, then I'll sort of be barking for a few seconds, often just the one loud cough at a time - and then I'll be quiet again. But I have hot tea and Game of Thrones to distract me from my miserable cough, so it's not too bad! 

10 comments:

  1. I like that peplum on you! I agree, it is kind of a hard look to pull off though - hit too low or high and it doesn't look right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, that's probably the secret of peplums, right there - the place they hit in. I'm so glad you thought this one works on me! :)

      Delete
  2. This top is very flattering on you. I love the shoes too! We just finished Game of Thrones. Hugo actually took a late nap so we were able to watch today's episode in its entirety:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, hon! :) We ended up saving the first three episodes and watching them in the one go last night... and Victor's face at the end of the wedding...! We watched the fourth episode tonight, and now we have GOT withdrawal!! Haha.

      Delete
  3. Oh my god, Gwen!!! You look amaaaaaaze! I feel the same way about peplums. I tried one on at Forever21 a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised, but not enough to purchase it. Then, this past week, I went and tried on another one. I liked it, but again, I didn't purchase it. It's the one I posted to Instagram that you said you liked, and I agree. I should have gotten it! I may have to run back over to the mall this weekend. I guess I shouldn't be surprised I like the peplum cut. I love fit-and-flare styles, and peplums have a similar shape. I like that they nip in at the waist and then flare out. I think they look feminine and flirty. Plus, they mask my tummy a bit, so I'm all about that!

    I think this look is so feminine and fun, and I LOVE the pops of red in the sweater and your lipstick.Such a cutey-patootey. I would stop you on the street and tell you how much I love this look!

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, thank you so much! *blushes to match her jacket*. I think, when you actually find a peplum that works, get it! F21 is hardly gonna break the bank, is it - so get that shirt already!! It was gorgeous on you. (Enabler, much?)

      Oh, and you noticed the lipstick! Yay! I feel very daring when I wear lipstick that red, like I worry it's too much, but I do love the colour... I wish you were living closer to here, so you really could stop me on the street, haha! :) Thanks, this totally made my day. :)

      Delete
  4. Wow! That top is amazing on you! I have found I cannot do peplum with my hips either. But you in this top is so good! You make me want to retry peplum! You are giving Barbie a run for her money in this! So feminine and perfect. I have a similar red cardigan that I LOVE.

    Different is better!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks honey! This is the *only* peplum to have ever worked on me, you know - it's magical! Anthro also carries it in a lovely royal blue that would be totally your style, if you wanted to take a risk. (Go take that risk.) ;)

      And yeah, this is more of a cardigan than a blazer, isn't it? Or maybe it's half-and-half - a bardigan? (Oh ho ho...)

      Delete
  5. This is the cutest outfit! The red blazer is fantastic. And I love how you paired it with the light blue scarf. And a polka dotted peplum!!This is such a happy springtime outfit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Cynthia! I realised I could also wear this on our national holiday next month, minus the scarf, as it contains *all* the colours of the Norwegian flag - unexpected bonus! ;)

      Delete