Wednesday, 16 April 2014

Stripes and Comic Books

Jacket & shoes: Anthro, Top: J.Crew, Skirt: Cath Kidston, Scarf: gifted - all of them old. ;)

 I wish it hadn't been quite so cold the day I wore this outfit - what you don't see here is the other jacket I had to wear on top of this one. I couldn't even bear to take my scarf off. Yes, I am one sad excuse for a Viking. Anyway, for my second day of stripes and florals, I dug out this skirt last seen in Carcassonne, I believe...  In fact, everything I'm wearing here is kind of old, same as my last outfit. It makes me happy, that I can keep on finding new ways of styling clothes that I've had for ages - and this is especially true for something that's spent the winter in storage, the way this skirt did.
(Hence the wrinkles - sorry about those!)


If we're pals on Instagram, you may have seen the stuff I'm working on now... comics! When I started this blog, I thought, let's only focus on the fashion stuff and not mention any of the other stuff I do... like the play I put on last year, and now, the comic books I'm involved with making. But yeah, somehow I have a hard time keeping it all separated, and since I'm neck deep in this comics stuff at the moment, let's talk comics!

Right now, my friends and I are working hard to get this short anthology finished in time for a comics expo in May. It's based on an idea I had after going to a lecture about the Japanese village that was constructed in Victorian London as a tourist attraction... The village burned down, and one person died in the fire. They rebuilt it all, but were eventually shut down anyway. It's completely bonkers, and completely true! 


After the lecture, my friend and I went for lunch, and I blurted out that wouldn't it be fun to do a four-part story about four very different villagers, and call it The Village People? Each story would have their initial as their title - Y, M, Chi - that would be the story of the guy that died, because I love me a bad pun - and A. 

Many rewrites later, we had the characters and their stories. Yoshitoki the umbrella maker, who will go to crazy lengths to cheer up his morose little son. Shy girl Miho who makes hair ornaments, and falls in love with the beautiful Miss Emily. Chiba Chosuke the Kabuki dancer who is murdered, and not killed in the fire at all. And Ando the Shinto priest, who is hired to exorcise his old friend Chosuke from the theatre he is haunting. So there you go - if you think you can out-dork me now, I'd love to see you try!*

*Kidding. I'm such a ridiculous nerd, I'm just happy to have passable social skills...  

10 comments:

  1. I love the skirt and don't even see the wrinkles. Matching stripes and flowers is tricky, but you did a good job.
    I know what you mean about just focusing on fashion with the blogs instead of other interests, but I think the key is to combine the two. Incorporate your fashion with your comics and stories as an example.
    What a fun project. Have fun with your creativity,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacey! D'oh I shouldn't have mentioned the wrinkles then, haha!
      I think you're right, actually - I'd probably not be a lot of fun if I didn't write about what I want to write about. If that makes sense? I figure, if someone wants to look at my blog just for the outfits, they can just look at the pictures and skip the text, eh? ;)
      Glad you think the project sounds fun! There's a lot of stuff to do, but seeing the gorgeous artwork people have made thanks to something I wrote just makes me want to work harder to do it all justice. :)

      Delete
  2. I am so excited about your comic book! Please share this on the blog, Gwen! Your stories sound amazing. I want more!!! Seriously!
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could I forget to respond to this?! I'm sorry! It's really cool that you're interested, Cynthia, and I'll share it in some form - I'm being "forced" to doing a more comics oriented blog, so maybe I'll post some previews there...

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh! I love your comic book idea and the stories! Oh my gosh! It is so cool! And, yes, share, dhare, share (but not enough where someone could copy it. But I want desperately to read them!).

    Your outfit is super cute, too! I love the floral skirt! I do not even see the wrinkles!

    But back to my heart's love: creative fun. Good luck with getting it done by May! Gosh! I am so excited for you!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well one of my main worries is that, ahem, none of the artists or the colourist know that I have this blog. I know, right? And I'm leery of posting their artwork without their permission... but I'm probably going to write about them on this other blog that I'm being semi-coerced into starting by one of the artists... so then I could link to that here, I guess!

      Glad you liked this outfit! It was really fun to wear, a repeat offender for sure! ;)

      Delete
  4. I love this look. Floral, stripes and color!! Bring on Spring!! You look great Gwen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Sayaka! So lovely to have you back in "blogland"! ;)

      Delete
  5. I would totally wear this outfit. I love me some pastels and florals. The floral love is a recent development, but I'm going a bit crazy adding more florals to my closet.

    I have been following your comic writing journey on Instagram. I think it's totally the coolest. I go back and forth about what content I want to share on my blog, and I've just decided to write about whatever I feel inspired to share that day. It's usually OOTD posts, but I also like talking about trends, decorating, new collections, travel, and whatever else. So share some of your comic stuff! I think it's very clever and cool!

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how about you add a striped top or jacket to your gorgeous floral maxi you just bought? That would be like, the grownup, ladylike version of this outfit! You'd look lovely.

      Thanks for your sweet words with regards to my comics! I'm definitely going to share some more of that here, and add a link so you can go see the art on the other blog - the more I think about it, the more I am convinced that's the best solution. Because just like you, I wanna share! Hehe. :)

      Delete