Sunday, 13 April 2014

The Sisterhood of Cath

Skirt: Cath Kidston, Cardigan: J.Crew, Shirt: Gap, Booties & beanie: Anthro
 So I have a lot of skirts. You will probably agree with me that I need a new skirt like I need a hole in the head - that's why it shouldn't come as much of a surprise that so far this spring, I have amassed three. This is one of them. You have no idea how long I waited for this baby to go on sale - I think I actually since early last autumn! Cath Kidston do more homewares than clothes, and I have to admit not all of their stuff is to my taste, but every once in a while... They will produce something so cute that my head literally explodes. 


Then, after I've put the bits of my head back together with duct tape and epoxy glue (long hair is useful for this - it hides the cracks), then I have to decide if I'm prepared to pay full price, or if I'm happy to wait and chance it, because not all their items make it to sale. I did actually cave and buy something full price there this one time -  but usually, I hold out. There was a horse dress last year that still makes my soul hurt a little when I think of it - so damn cute, and it sold out so fast. But this skirt - nobody but me loved this skirt, it seems! There were literally piles of them on the sale. 


Now, here in the UK, there is a bit of an unofficial sisterhood going on where all things Cath are concerned. The best icebreaker on the first day of a new job is if you clock a colleague's Cath Kidston bag and go, "Ah, Cath!" in a sly way. (The bags are cute, by the way - flowers, polkadots, that sort of thing. I may own a couple of those too. Ahem.) You will instantly have a new friend. This also happens on the bus, on the tube - and in a department store last Saturday, when I wore this outfit. Two ladies who were working in the furniture department had apparently spent a while trying to decide if this skirt was Cath - before one of them had to come up and ask me. 


The only downside of Cath? Victor isn't exactly a fan. He doesn't hate it quite as much as he hates cats, but it comes close. We actually had to go to the Cath store today to get a sweater storage bag (they are amazing for keeping your clothes in - and the patterns are cute, as always). I found the item and went straight to the till to pay, so that he wouldn't have to spend too long in "floral, paisley hell" as he calls it. While he was waiting for me and sort of idly looking around, a sales assistant came up and asked him if he was okay. To which he replied, "I'm a man. In Cath Kidston. Do you think I'm okay?!" This was followed by the sort of manic cackle you would normally associate with Dracula. I just barely managed to apologise to the poor woman before I practically fell out the door laughing. 

They actually have a bench outside, you know. A pretty red one. For all the bored husbands. He just chooses not to use it. 

8 comments:

  1. Gwen! This is my favorite outfit. Ever! I have never heard of this brand. But I would have been lusting after that skirt, too. So awesome! I love it! What is not to like? It has birds and it is a cool color! I love the way you styled it here. That awesome pink beanie just blends everything together so well!

    Such a funny story. My husband would have been all over that bench! Wait. That sounds bad. I mean he would always choose to sit outside than come in. I need to check out sweater storage bags! I am in the process of storing/selling/donating my closet right now. Anything to make the task more tolerable!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, thank you so much, hon! It actually reminds me a LOT of your Songbirds skirt, as well as that skirt with the ducks that Anthro re-issued for their 20th anniversary. What I'm saying is, we're not twinsies on this one but maybe second cousins? Third cousins? So maybe you could do a warmer-weather version of this outfit? And thanks, I adore my hat. Best purchase ever!

      Oh, Victor wouldn't choose the bench, he loves tagging along and complaining too much! Plus, who knows what sort of insane paisley crap I might buy if I'm left on my own, right?! I think he tags along in sheer self-defence, actually...

      Have you thought of doing a blog sale...? Just an idea. I think you could really shift things that way, since you have so many readers who are into the same style of clothes as you...

      Delete
  2. Your Victor is hysterical! (although I did feel a little pang in my heart when I read that he hates cats. lol) Freddy always looks perplexed and a little lost when I bring him into stores like Anthro. I have never heard of Cath Kidston. Are they not in the US? Which may be a good thing. From your description it sounds like that could be a dangerous place for me. That skirt is fantastic!!
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there's never a boring day with my Victor! He's terribly allergic to cats, and also he just doesn't "get" them and their whole "I own my human" kind of thing. He loves dogs, though! (does that even help? haha.) Cath Kidston are all over Asia - in Japan they're especially popular - and in France, too, but sadly not in America. Their stores are totally dangerous, hehe. And thanks! I'm going to get a lot of wear out of this one!

      Delete
  3. Oh my, this outfit is so damn adorable, Gwen!! Totally and absolutely in love with it! Plus the print on that skirt is SO good!! And... I just had to check out Cath Kidston - their stuff is the prettiest!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squee! Thank you, Veronica! I could really see you rocking some of those Cath clothes! Well, perhaps "rocking" is the wrong word for something so cute, haha. :)

      Delete
  4. Gwen, this outfit is the best! Love the print, love the colors, love it all! I have never heard of that brand, but I just popped over to their website and I see quite a few lovely prints. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin! I'm so happy to hear that! I can really imagine you in a Cath dress, actually, that style would suit you to a T! :)

      Delete