Wednesday, 11 June 2014

All Multicultural And Stuff

Blazer: H&M, T-Shirt: Rachel Antonoff, Trousers: Anthro, Brogues: Clark's - all old. 
Being married to a Chinese boy, I've  been exposed to a lot of Cantonese martial arts movies - the cheesier, the better - including one or two about Wong Fei-Hung, a character who fights with two old-fashioned black umbrellas. So the other day, he says, out of the blue, "You know, if we have a daughter, her middle name could be "Wong-Fei", right... Which means "Princess". And then, with my surname, she'll be Wong-Fei Hung, and it'll be hilarious!"


"Although," Victor paused, frowning a little, "She would have problems with people expecting her to be really awesome at martial arts, and being able to do the shadow kick and so on. Not to mention, first time we take her to Hong Kong, people will be like, "AHAHAHA!!" and then call social services..."
So then I ask him, all innocently, even though I kind of already know the answer, "And if we have a son, would you make his middle name "Princess", too?" To which Victor laughed long and hard, before he replied, "HELL YEAH!!"


 In other news, we are both completely hooked on this song by Eric Kwok, which is about a dude pretending to be Iron Man. Because "no-one is as uber-grand as Iron Man". It's not just that the tune is insanely catchy, the video is side-splitting as he uses his "hand beam" - "I no longer need my suit", he informs Nick Furey - to do everything from opening doors to stealing a gatcha-ball from a machine, to making his dentist stop drilling. Ignore most of the subtitles, they're promotion for a series of gigs that Eric Kwok (who looks a lot like Downey Jr., actually) and his band, Swing, are doing in June. (I wish we could go! Even though we'd die from the heat.) Just hang in there until they go in the shower, then there's actually a bit they sing in English. I can't believe I just typed that...

6 comments:

  1. Fun video!!!
    Awesome outfit! I love you in pink! And your Victor is too funny. Wong-Fei is a great name but if he names your boy a name that means Princess - that kid WILL have to learn martial arts! lol
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah, it would be A Boy Named Sue all over again, wouldn't it? ;) I'm glad to have recruited another convert to the Army of Iron Man - and also very glad you liked my outfit! :)

      Delete
  2. I want you to know, I looked at your blog two hours ago with all intents and purposes of commenting on your cute outfit and exclaiming under no circumstances can Victor name your future child. Pet, yes. Child. No. But then you went and sucked me into that video, which I decided would go much better with wine. So, then I drank two glasses and now I cannot really remember what I wanted to say, except, "Iron Man." Yea. That video rocked. Victor and my husband would get along splendidly. He is always trying to get me to watch those martial arts movies. He loves them all. I will admit that some of them are funny, but that music video is more up my alley.

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahahaha!! Well you know, Wong-Fei is kind of growing on me now... ;) He decided years ago that any future daughter of ours would be called Lydia, but his family have a tradition of using Chinese middle names, so maybe it would be a possibility... Not for a boy, though - never! ;)

      So glad you liked the song, I am seriously addicted to it! We need to get together for the sake of our menfolk now, as well as for our own sake! Hehehe... See if you guys can find a movie called Zu Warriors of the Mystic Mountain. That one is hilarious, you'd like it. Best bit of dialogue goes something like this:
      "What's going on?!"
      "Look, they're the bad guys, and we're the good guys. Get it?!"

      Delete
  3. Hi Gwen!! I've been away from blogging for a few weeks and I missed your blog. I love this outfit of yours. The pink really pops and looks cute on you :) Btw I've been meaning to tell you that I received your post card Budapest. I'm jealous you got to visit such an exotic place...oh and the food sounds amazing.Thank you for thinking of me while you were traveling. I'm sorry for being such a lazy blogger lately, but it sure is fun to come back and see everyone doing and looking adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sayakaaaaa! I missed you too! I'm so glad you're back in blog land, and even more glad that you liked my card! Haha, trust me to write about the food, I swear we did more than just eat! ;) Oh, and thanks, I'm glad you think it works with the pink blazer! :)

      Delete