Tuesday, 17 June 2014

Cement Shoes

Dress: Madewell, old, Arizona Sandals: Birkenstock, Caramelo Necklace: Anthro, old

So I finally caved in and bought Birkenstocks. After two years of use, my old sandals were about as soft and foot-supporting as cardboard. After a few weeks of hobbling around in them, I realised that I desperately needed new sandals, and well, Birkenstocks are actually in right now...  Which kind of blows my nerd mind in a thousand ways. What'll be next, Steve Urkel glasses?! Oh wait...


It's kind of mad, how I used to be embarrassed about owning Birkenstocks but I have done for years - either as hiking shoes, sneakers and/or the super nerdy closed-toe sandal (mine are green). I never bought these two-strap ones before because I kept thinking they'd be so easy to step out of, but man was I wrong there. Once they are on, these babies stay on. Like cement!  


Of course, when the stiff leather of new shoes meet your naked feet in the summer heat, what's the most common result? That's right, flesh wounds! So the tops of my feet have been covered in sticking-plasters, but that's a price I'm willing to pay for trendy comfiness. And yes, I suppose this makes me a hipster now? I still don't have any tattoos, though. So hipster-in-training, maybe?


Also, I'd actually never worn this dress without some kind of shirt inside it before, so that was new. And the dress and sandals felt like a really nice and neutral backdrop for my crazy huge necklace with the Swarofski ball. I used to be a bit embarrassed to wear it out in public because it is pretty big, but I've gradually worn down my own resistance to the point where it doesn't even feel like I'm lifting weights with my neck every time I wear it now, hah. But to me, big necklaces are like a gym membership - if I invest good money in it, then I will damn well use it!   

10 comments:

  1. I know Birks are comfy as heck once they are broken in AND they are on-trend right now but ... I can't. Sorry. Can't get on board. I'll continue to mince along painfully in my patent wedges, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, if it helps, I honestly can't see you in Birkenstocks either! You're just too elegant for nerd shoes! :) But being so tall, I never really learned to walk in heels, so I am lapping up this comfy flats trend! :D

      Delete
  2. What? I thought the whole point of Birkenstocks was that they were supposed to be comfortable! And when did they come back in style? Where have I been?!
    You are looking super cute as always!!
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, honey! Well, maybe it's just my feet, but I always get cuts or blisters when breaking in new shoes in the summer, since my feet swell up from the heat. Birkenstocks came back, as it were, early this spring, I think? When it was still cold enough that people were - get this - also wearing them with socks!

      Delete
  3. I thought the same thing as Cynthia. Blisters?! Birkenstocks?! Those two words cannot go together. I love that dress on you. You look so pretty. The colorful necklace is great!

    I just fell in my wedges two days ago and my ankle still isn't recovered. I am such a klutz. You are smart to buy sensible shoes.

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, how is your ankle doing now? If it's swollen, drop me an email, I am an expert at doctoring sprains, even from afar. Wedges terrify me...

      Anyway, thank you! This outfit is a lot more... basic than what I'm used to wearing, hehe, so I'm really glad you liked it!

      Delete
  4. I'm SO GLAD that birks are back in style. I bought a pair last summer (these in mint: http://www.amazon.com/Birkenstock-Gizeh-Birko-Flor-Thong-Black/dp/B000I68B4I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405201356&sr=8-1&keywords=birkenstock+gizeh+birko-flor) and I adore them. I think they are great with the dress and the necklace takes the whole outfit up a notch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would it be bad taste to get a tattoo that says "Birks Rule?" Or maybe I could just hashtag myself #blackbirksrule, haha. And holy moly, I didn't even know they MADE mint Birkenstocks - those are really cute! And perfect for you! :)

      Delete