Sunday, 29 June 2014

Throwback

Jacket: H&M, Dress: Thrifted, Shoes: Marks & Spencer - all old as the hills! ;)

So last year, I wanted to wear this exact outfit, but the summer got too warm, too fast. I had to settle for a pink belt instead. But I recently remembered about this not-yet-worn, favourite-outfit-in-my-head, and since the temperature was just right, I could finally put it on! Ah, whenever I wear this striped dress I can't help but be astonished by all the mileage I've gotten out of it - it's a thrift store find that's more than paid for itself, that's for sure!


Speaking of stripes, I was just forced to throw out my favourite T-shirt (which had stripes on it), and the grief is like a little fist closing around my heart, I tell you. (Drama queen, much? Yeah, I know.) But seriously, just thinking about it makes me sad. What happened was, my mother and I both bought this shirt in different colourways, and both of them shrank so much over the past couple of years that they became just about unwearable. I don't even own a tumble drier, yet when I put it on, I looked like I'd stolen the shirt from a small child. So, in a fit of house cleaning, down the trash chute it went. ("If I can't have you, no-one will!") Because a T-shirt that doesn't even touch the bottom of your ribs is an unwearable T-shirt.


And what brand was this T-shirt, you ask? Pilcro. And you may recall I have had issues with Pilcro before. I own a few Pilcro shoes and they are all fantastic quality, but when it comes to clothing, this brand sucks. I've only owned three garments by this brand, and of the three, I've been forced to throw away two - and I have a feeling the third one is headed that way, too. It's a striped, long-sleeve shirt that's become bizarrely scratchy - again, mother has the same shirt - and the only reason mine isn't coming apart at the seams as fast as hers, is that she's worn hers more. So now, I've vowed never to waste my monies on this brand again. All together now: "GRRR! BOO! HISS!" *shakes fist*

12 comments:

  1. Oh dear - I was eyeballing a pair of Pilcro jeans but maybe I will now think twice. I will definitely wait 'til they go on sale. Total bummer about your shirt. I get mad when stuff like that happens because it is like throwing money away. Grrrrr....
    On a positive note- you are getting your money's worth with that lovely striped dress. So Yay! LOVE it with the pink!!!
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Oh baby, think twice -
      for the sake of your jeans,
      and your wallet, too.
      You don't want to buy some pants
      that fall apart on you!"

      ...80's song reference is there as a bonus, hahaha! And yes, I agree, it IS like throwing money away - when I buy something nice at Anthro, it's with the expectancy that I'll be able to use it for a long time, Anyway, thanks - I'm always getting more ideas for how to use that pink blazer, so I'm glad you like it!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh! You look so cute! I love that whole look. And that dress is stunning on you. What a bummer about the shirt. I have some pilcro pants from when I was heavier and I loved those. I only have a pair of Pilcro cords now that fit. I love them. They are better than my Stevies by far. However, they do have a large spot that is misdyed. So, I can definitely seeing quality being an issue. I did not even know they made shirts. I am such a bad fashion blogger.

    Your hair looks good, girl! I love it!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you honey! Your sweet comment made my day! :) (My hair says thanks to - what with it having a life of its own these days, haha!)
      Maybe you're just more careful with your clothes than my mother and I, then - or maybe you've worn your Pilcro items less often? I know I wore that tee and those cords a LOT, because I loved them so much. Shame about that stain, maybe you could find a huge iron-on patch of a toadstool or something else cute, and pretend it's intentional? ;) And you're not a bad fashion blogger - you're a fashion blogger AND a lifestyle blogger, right? ;)

      Delete
  3. This outfit is perfection and one I want to re-create!! The two patterns are so fun together + that blazer. What a gorgeous colour! Glad you remembered this outfit and had the chance to wear it... it's the loveliest of inspirations!! <3

    PS Yes definitley kept my Madewell cardy. Love that thing!! And I've thought of doing a post on the 18 pieces I kept. Let's see what I can come up with! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vee! :) I can't wait to see your version of it! (With a white blazer, perhaps?) You should totally do some kid of long remix post - or a series of remix posts - featuring your 18 items. You could call it The Ultimate 18 or something equally melodramatic. And I'm guessing we've both become hardcore Madewell fangirls, eh? ;) I hope you managed to get that romper in your size from the sale!

      Delete
  4. I love that blazer and it looks so nice with the dress. I love pink and seem to collect pink blazers. I remember this blazer but I never got around to H and M, but I have picked up some other brands during the pink trend.
    Have a great evening,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, hon! I do love this blazer, but I'm sure the ones you own are better constructed - it's more of a soft jacket, really. Hence why it was so cheap, I guess! I do love it though. And wait, there was a pink trend?! Why did I miss this?! Haha!

      Delete
  5. This dress is gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOOOOOOOOVE this! It's like a pop art outfit with that blast of hot pink against the black (navy?) and white striped dress. And throw in a bit of cheetah for fun! It is such a vivacious and zippy and bubbly outfit. You have done an awesome job of color play and print mixing here. I would totally wear this or stop anyone on the street wearing it to compliment them. A fave, for sure!

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pop art? I love it! That's what I'll call this outfit from now on, when I repeat it, as I'm sure to do. ;) I didn't even put much thought into this, just wore things I liked together and assumed they would work! Thanks so much, babe, your sweet comment totally made my day!

      Delete