Monday, 9 June 2014

Wrecking Ball

Blazer, necklace & dress:  all Anthro,  all (kinda) old. Shoes: Marks & Spencer

So this is why Victor is awesome. A couple of Fridays ago, I get a text from him: "You like Emmylou Harris, right?" I replied, something like, "Yes, I love her, why?" To which he responded, "Good, since we're watching her on Sunday". And then I nearly fainted from joy. See, it'd been a dream of mine to watch Emmylou live for years, but the last time she was in London, I couldn't afford to go. And now, not only was she here, she was performing my favourite album - Wrecking Ball - in its entirety. 


That's right, she was singing her whole album track for track. Who does that?! But it was pretty magical, especially when you've listened to said album again and again for years and years... I literally sat there with tears of happiness running down my face, while her voice floated through the concert hall and wrapped itself around each and every one of us. 


Oh, and this is what I wore to the concert. I got this dress it when it hit sale last winter, and well, wearing it would've involved freezing to death, hence it's not made it to the blog until now. Even towards the end of May, I was wearing tights with this dress! Did I mention this country is nuts... This was one of those outfits I'd been planning in my head for ages for some special future occasion. I even managed to sneak in a little subtle pattern-mixing there, and I liked the end result a lot! 


And finally, here's an idea of the scale of the buildings where I'm always sneaking around taking photos! The concert was actually held right here, at the Barbican complex. In addition to having all these towers full of retro-stylish apartments, the Barbican has several concert halls that double as theatre stages, a library and a cinema. And you'd have to sell all the organs of your entire family to be able to live there. Some people think the Barbican is the ugliest thing in London, what with the architecture not being everybody's cup of tea. Not to mention how it's been stained various shades of grey by exhaust and pollution. But me, I've grown to love it in all its filthy concrete glory.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being able to see Emmylou Harris. It's so fun to go and see people that you have admired for years. I was thrilled to see Blondie a few years back.
    I really like your dress. Is that the Anthropologie one that came in many colors? The jacket looks really cute with it too.
    Have a great day,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly! It's just the most amazing thing, and it's almost like some of those songs have been enriched and had layers of meaning added to them, by hearing the stories Emmylou and her producer were telling about them.

      You know, I *think* that would be this dress? Here in the UK, it was only ever released in red, but I remember seeing a black and a teal version of in on the US site. The brand is "Girls from Savoy". Anyway, thanks a bunch, hon! :)

      Delete
  2. You look gorgeous in your dress! woot woot!
    I feel the same way about Duran Duran which maybe I should be embarrassed to admit but ... I am not!
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah, thank you! And let's be proud of our fandoms! Mine also include bands like They Might Be Giants (does it GET any nerdier?!) and CAKE (subversive Americana for the win!). I can't say I've listened to Duran Duran, but you kind of made me want to look them up on youtube now... ;)

      Delete
  3. All I can think is va-va-voom! Yowsers! You look hot! Red is so good on you. I like the blazer with it, too. My mind is still numb from that Iron Man video. And now I keep thinking about the super heroes that were not mentioned. Must drink more wine. Then clean toilets. Two things that go surprisingly well together.

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Jenni! I've been feeling anything *but* va-voomish lately so that was nice to hear! :) And of course wine and toilets are the perfect combo - if you're drunk, you won't miiiind scrubbing a toilet, now will you! ;)

      Delete
  4. What a fun date night! I love that Victor surprised you with that!

    Your outfit is darling. I would totally wear it. Not that I'd have the vision to put it together in the first place, but once you put it together for me, I would rock the heck out of it! The black tights and sweet ballet flats and perfectly demure. Hope you had a lovely time!

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, hon! It really was wonderful, and I enjoyed it so much - I even got all emotional and cried during some of the songs, hehe. I'd love to see you copy my look here with pieces you own, I bet you'd look cute! Though I can't take all the credit; this dress was shown with leopard wedges in the Anthro catalogue so that's why I wore it with leopard flats. ;)

      Delete