Saturday, 26 July 2014

Crescent Moon on a Starlit Night


That's what I call this outfit in my head - crescent moon on a starlit night. Can you tell that I used to sell romance novels for a living? Anyway, after I scored this dress on sale - bizarrely, the UK stores only stocked the black version, and put it on sale after only a month - I've worn it a ton, but always with this necklace and these sandals. Anything else I've tried just seemed like too much, you know? Like, this is a dress that just needs to speak for itself and look pretty in its own right. 


Now, should you find yourself owning this lovely dress, I have one piece of advice. Don't assume that just because the detachable slip doesn't have fancy beading on it, that means you can chuck it in the washing machine. That basically turned mine into a tank-top! Which is why I had to substitute mine for a slightly longer black slip... In some ways, I like the look of the longer lace peeking out at the bottom - it does give me a little extra coverage. But at the same time, it doesn't look quite right, does it?


I'm actually not that shy about showing a lot of leg if I'm more covered up on top - I think that kind of creates a nice balance, and stops me from lookin' like a hobag. But anyway, if I do manage to get hold of the white version of this dress on sale - which I've been obsessed with ever since Jenni rocket it so gorgeously on her blog - I am handwashing the top layer and the slip. Because I learn from my mistakes, yes sirree! 


Victor took one look at me in this outfit, and said one word: "Goth". Hah! Personally, I think this dress is a bit more like a superhero mumu? I mean, it has that long cape bit at the back, and it basically  just drapes around you and wraps you in its flowy embrace. Come colder times, I can see myself wearing this over jeans. Or more realistically, jeggings - I mean, if you're going with the whole comfy flowy theme, why fight it, right? 

8 comments:

  1. I like the layer of lace underneath. It adds a bit of texture! Isn't it the worst when you think you've ruined something in the washer or dryer? Good save here. It's a lovely dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin! And oh, I *know* about that feeling! I'm still kicking myself for that slip, and wondering if I can stretch it out somehow - but at least I was smart and handwashed the dress itself! I do like the lace, though - it makes the dress a little less scandalous, too! ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh Gwen Gwen Gwen Gwen... this dress is so lovely on you! I really love it! I thought the slip was part of the dress and one of the reasons I think it is so fabulous. It gives it a unique edge and seems fashion forward. Maybe you will start a trend?!! That would be so awesome! So sexy with bare legs too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cynthia! You're making me blush over here!! I'm glad the slip doesn't stick out like a sore thumb - have to admit, I did like wearing the dress that way, it was even, uh, sexier with the original slip. (Hehe.) If I'm starting this trend, you could totally jump on the bandwagon too - you've got great legs, and I'm sure you'd rock this dress! (BTW I have an identical white slip, so if I can get hold of the white dress, I'll be all set! ;) )

      Delete
  3. I like the dress even more with your slip. It looks awesome on you! I have a question: are the beads on the black dress black or silver or white? Are they shining in the sun or are they always noticeable?m it truly does look like a starry night and that necklace is fabulous with it!

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Jenni! Now we can be like, antimatter twins from Star Trek or something in our black and white Bermeja dresses! The beads appear white to me, and I think they're always noticeable, though the sunshine really makes them sparkle. I have a feeling they're more subtle in the white version, right? Glad you think the slip works, by the way!! :)

      Delete
  4. Ooooooooh! This is the coolest! It reminds me of that black dress Jenni just featured on her blog. You're both rocking short, sexy, black lacy numbers. It's Stevie Nicks-meets-Moon Goddess. I love the lace slip under it, too. It adds an interesting textural element. I thought it was all one piece until I read your post. No one's the wiser, and I think it's really cool looking! Very whimsical, seductive, and romantic! You look so pretty and alluring!

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Jenni and I seem to have tuned into a similar brainwave there! I loved her outfit too! Thank you hon, I love the Stevie Nicks/Moon Goddess comparison, it's possibly my favourite compliment I have ever received. Tee hee. I managed to find a shorter slip, so now I can vary the lengths, too!

      Delete