Wednesday, 30 July 2014

Local Egyptian Pantheon

Cardigan: Madewell, T-shirt: J.Crew, Pants: UniQlo, Sandals: Birkenstock, Bag: Accessorize.

There is this area in London called Angel that Victor and I rather like, and it's in walking distance from our new flat. There are a few trendy places and shops, but also a lot of nice, affordable restaurants - like Desperados, my favourite cheesy Tex-Mex place in the world. The food is amazing, and the toilet decor even more so... It features skeletons getting it on with nubile young ladies, basically. I love to take unsuspecting friends visiting from Norway to Desperados, and innocently telling them they should go check the bathrooms out! And there's street art, like this one we stumbled onto a couple of weeks ago. Say hello to Thoth and Anubis, and what seems to be Saint Rhianna. I couldn't not pose with an awesome mural like this one, right?


As for our house-move, or rather, apartment-move, things are definitely heading in the right direction. And it's not like I feel compelled to drown my sorrows by swigging on turpentine, or anything that drastic. (Best instagram selfie I ever took; a picture of me holding a big bottle of white spirit, tastefully captioned "Kampai!") But things are stressful, and there are a million and one things we need to do, and builders we need to oversee. So I am currently pretty much the worst friend in the world, online and in real life. So many blogs I need to catch up on, so many comments I compose in my head, then can't quite find the wherewithall to type up... Gah, I suck! 


Oh, but on the bright side, I did score this T-shirt in the most amazing sale deal of the century. So there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. (In my case, the light is often the headlights of an oncoming train, but still...) I wore this outfit to a French restaurant Victor and I had just discovered in a part of Angel we don't usually go to - it was the most adorable place, and the food was gorgeous, so we've found another favourite for sure. I seem to have a weakness for things with stuff written on them in French, and with the stripes, well I felt like quite the Parisiennne - even if a real Parisienne would have gone out in stilettos, not Birkenstocks!

8 comments:

  1. Those murals are fantastic! Great photo op! Give yourself a break about the blogging and commenting. Sometimes life just gets crazy. I can't wait to see more about your flat. I am so envious!
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right of course, babe - I tend to guilt myself about a lot of things and go into tailspins! La vida is pretty loco right now, if you'll pardon my frightful Spanish! ;) Right now the flat is full of men with pneumatic drills, but I'll definitely do a little tour of it the blog once we can start moving in! :)

      Delete
  2. fun mural!! I love it!
    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when Thoth and Anubis are in town, you gotta grab a selfie with 'em! ;)

      Delete
  3. I love your shirt! Oh man. You must send me a picture of the bathroom wall art. I cannot not see that! That mural is amazing. And yes, you could not pass by an opportunity for an outfit shoot with it! I wish we had something like that in our town, but it is so boring. Just fake Italian everything everywhere. Everywhere. Everywhere. Sigh. No imagination.

    No Saint Rhianna!

    The light will come and it will be a blessing from Saint Rhianna and not a train. I promise. But just to be sure, stay off the tracks.

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe now you have given me the perfect excuse to drag Victor back to Desperados; he likes this other TexMex place much better, you see! ;) And thanks, I'm pretty mad about this shirt too - especially since it breathes in this heat! ^_^;;

      Anyway, how can this be that everything is fake Italian where you live?! Here I thought you'd be knee deep in old Hispanic stuff, with all the buildings done up like Alta California and grown men walking around in Zorro costumes! Madre de Dios! You obviously need to suit up your kids in balaclavas, wear all black (hey, you have five LBD's now!) and go make some awesome graffitti murals of your own over there! ;) A Minecraft one, a Portal one and a Monster Hunter one, how''s that sound?! ;)

      I did actually think in retrospect that maybe Rhianna's not a saint at all, but one of those Bodhisatvas who attain enlightenment on Earth and become divine, haha! I'll do my best to stay off the tracks, though, so that I won't need divine intervention! ;)

      Delete
  4. That mural is awesome! That really does look like Rihanna, doesn't it? How strange. It's a great backdrop for your outfit photo, though. All of the colors do sort of coordinate, and I love looking from one figure to the next. You're sort of mythologized and immortalized right alongside them!

    Despite the stress, I'm happy to hear that your move is progressing. Moving is inherently a stressful thing without all of the additional ridiculousness you've had to deal with. Being consumed by it doesn't make you a terrible friend. It makes you a fighter! A survivor ! A warrior in the battle of shady apartment leasing! Life catches up will all of us sometimes. I feel like I've kept making that same excuse for the past few months or so. I think I just need to accept that this is my new routine and that time gets away from me a bit quicker than last year in Savannah. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming!

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty much the best mural I've seen in years, haha! I can't help wondering how they came up with that motive. If I see stuff like that, I just HAVE to pose with it! ;)

      Moving in is getting closer and closer! The kitchen's just been installed, except for the cooker, which will get installed tomorrow. And the bathroom is nearing completion, too! We went over there to paint tonight, and did some of the ceilings - officially, painting ceilings is now my Least Favourite Thing Ever. Ugh. But we are swimming, definitely swimming!

      Delete