Wednesday, 9 July 2014

Somerset House

Jacket: UniQlo, Dress: Anthro, Bag & necklace: Cath Kidston, Boots: Clark's - all old! ;)

I think it's become a bit of a fashionista thang here in London to have your picture taken in front of Somerset House. I always see pictures on the internets of people posing here, and I think maybe they host one of the fashion weeks or something? So after Victor and I had been to an exhibition there, I thought "why not?" and asked him to snap some phone pictures of me. And they have been held hostage inside my phone ever since. For weeks. Poor, poor pictures. 


Anyway, I had a really cool little paid gig a couple of weeks ago - teaching Shakespeare workshops at my old university back in Norway. Now get this - I was teaching teachers. And teachers make the WORST students; it's hilarious. They're used to being the ones in charge, so they'll give you no respect, and they'll talk during your lesson, too! My mother taught me a great trick that I used on day two though - I'd just stop talking mid-sentence and then wait until the people talking over me realised that everybody else was waiting for them to shut up. That worked like a charm!


I taught everyone an Elizabethan drinking song, and made them sing it in the round AND with linked arms, swaying from side to side, hehe. It's this really cute song about how they thought your nose didn't get red from drinking too much alcohol, oh no - it was all the spice they put in the beer that made your nose go red! (Elizabethan science, man...) "Cinnamon and ginger, nutmeg and cloves, and that gave thee thy jolly red nose." 

6 comments:

  1. I'd love to take a Shakespeare class from you! As an American actor, I have always had an inferiority complex about performing Shakespeare. I think lots of us do because we are always told how badly Americans are at it.
    Love how you paired a light denim jacket with a pretty red dress. You know... you would be right at home here in the USA with that color combo this week. (wink wink)
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's not fair that you should have an inferiority complex - apparently, because of language drift and whatnot, American accents are closer to what Elizabethan accents sounded like, so those uppity Brits can just chill! ;)
      I *did* think about the 4th of July when I put this outfit together, I'm not gonna lie, haha!

      Delete
  2. I am so excited with your gig. You did amazing things for those teachers. I hope they appreciated it! I love your trick. That would definitely shut me up. Although, I definitely would not be talking when you are.

    I love the drinking song you taught them. How fun!

    You look adorable. I love the jean jacket with the dress.

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, I think *most* of them appreciated it? Haha! I'm sure you would all be model students in my class! There were a couple of women there who were just awesome - I gave one Lady MacBeth to read, only for her to say it was her dream role, and we worked so well on that speech together. That was fun!
      Oh, and I can totally email you the sound clip for that song - it's so addictive!
      PS: I think this is my favourite way to wear this dress, actually!

      Delete
  3. That's great! What a fun opportunity! I would love to attend a Shakespeare workshop, especially one taught by you! And from experience, yes, teachers do make the worst students. Our professional development conferences were always a reminder of how our students must feel. If we can't behave ourselves for a 7-hour day of classes, perhaps we should be a little more understanding when it comes to our students.

    I'm also thrilled for you that you are now on the Somerset bandwagon. It must have been terrible to feel left behind on this trend, but now you are one of the cool kids, too. lol I also love seeing you sport your denim jacket, as I have been missing mine in this hot, hot heat. Fall will roll around soon enough, and I'll be able to wear it with glee yet again!

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know right - now I just need to get myself *invited* to all the *events* that take place at Somerset House! But for now, I shall pose prettily and *pretend* I'm a VIP with an RSVP! ;)

      Hilarious that even a teacher tells me teachers make bad students! I appreciate your honesty! ;) Damn, now I wish we could all have a blogger meet-up AND an impromptu Shakespeare workshop, hehehe.

      It must be something else to be so warm that you are longing for fall! Even though I am melting these days, we had such a long, annoying winter over here that I'm just happy for every extra day of sunshine we get. But then, I did grow up in Norway, where Summer literally lasts from mid-June to mid-August, and that's it! ;)

      Delete