Friday, 5 December 2014

Style SOS - Mirrored Deer Tee



A while ago, I asked Liz of With Wonder and Whimsy to style the Mirrored Deer Tee for me. While I love it, I seemed to only be wearing it in one or two ways, and I wanted an idea or two. Well, Liz sent me three of these awesome inspiration boards, only for me to promptly lose or delete that email. Several months and one house-move later, I wound up first recreating her looks from memory, and then sheepishly emailing Liz and asking her to resend. Which she kindly did. 


So, here is the first Red Pants look, as Liz intended it.. I wound up liking this one a lot! Though I should have picked a different scarf and pendant, I think, but that's just me being silly. Leopard flats, denim jacket, bright red pants - I was kind of shocked how well they went with the deer shirt. A repeater for sure, when it gets a bit warmer!


And this is my senile take on the Red Pants Look, kind of a Christmassy one now that I think about it! How I even worked a green cardigan and scarf into the mix, I have no idea... I wore this to the post office, which was all decked up in red, green and glitter so I guess at least I fit in there. The mug isn't a prop, by the way - it was so cold out there that I literally couldn't make myself take the pictures without a cup of coffee to thaw my frozen insides. This was just supposed to be a silly photo that I shot at the end - and then it was the only one that didn't come out blurry!  


I have to admit, this outfit freaked me out a little bit when I got the picture back. Because wouldn't wearing a belt at my natural waist accent my... generous hips? Still, this challenge was all about trying out new and unexpected combos for the deer shirt, so I bit the bullet and put a belt on it. 


And a blazer, or I would have died. I thought a grey one might fit better with the earthy brown colours, plus the cuffed sleeves would match my cuffed jeans. All in all, I surprised myself with how much I liked this look - though I'm still not 100% sure if I should wear belts like that. Any honest feedback is appreciated here! Also, this is my one and only clutch that I own - for now! I have another one on the way to me in the post that would've looked even more like the one in the picture, but... Style SOS is all about taking what you have, so yeah! That's what I did.


And, here is my version - Liz called it boho-chic, which I love! I felt really at home in this - makes sense, I guess, since it's one I came up with. Funny how I got the boots swapped around in my head, eh? This hat, by the way, is from Topshop, and I just wear it all the time - it's the training wheels hat for my even bigger floppy hat. Right now, this level of flop is all I can handle, but someday...


Third outfit! How cute is this board, right? THIS is what I should have worn in Hong Kong! But I couldn't find the Deer tee in the ten minutes I had to pack before our taxi got here. Soooo... have the ghetto version, where I took pictures of it in our living room and pretended it was summer. 


Please forgive the messy table in the foreground! I don't have brown sandals anymore, so I wound up wearing my mustard flatforms, which you can just barely see there... I can't wait for summer, when I can revisit this outfit for real!Also, I don't own a fringe bag - but the Transport Tote does the same job, right? No? Does that mean I need a fringe bag? (Don't answer that!)


Finally, here's my wintery take on the pink outfit - pink and brown aren't too bad together, are they? Of course, I can also wear the pink blazer and shorts together to create the ultimate shorts suit - no? Or is that too much? (Possibly. Quite possibly.) Anyway, I apologise for the picture quality - it's not the best! I just wanted to get this post out there! And yes, those are sparkly glitter boots - I mean, it's December, you know?

6 comments:

  1. Someday when I am rich and famous I want to hire Liz as my stylist. She is incredible at putting outfits together in ways I would never have thought of. I just love the first look with the red pants and the denim jacket and the other look with the belt around your waist. Gwen - I am 100% for that belt! It looks fantastic on you. So stylish!!!
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is! She is! :) Just say the word and Liz can totally come style you on your blog + so can I. That's why it's called Style SOS, we help where there is need and fashion emergencies! ;) SO glad you like the belt look on me! A few years I was all about belting my tops, then I decided it made me look bigger and I stopped... It's like I've rediscovered something really cool!

      Delete
  2. I loved reading your take on this experience and comparing it with my own thoughts. I guess I never realized that you don't belt tops? I guess I assume that everyone does it since it's my uniform of choice! While it doesn't work for every top, I do think it works for this outfit. But I think it works because of the additional layers you used with the scarf and blazer. The looks feels very layered and textured and styled. I like it a lot. Plus, it a longer top, so the belt changes the silhouette and length a bit. It probably wouldn't work as well with a shorter top.

    Isn't it funny how we set these rules for ourselves, like not belting tops? We get in the habit of not doing it and thinking it would look bad if we did. But challenges like Style SOS make us think out of the box a little.

    Thanks for doing this with me!

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lizmeister, you make it sound like I was putting so much thought into the layers, when really all I was trying to do was not freeze to death! ;) You are SO right about the longer top thing - it's almost a tunic, and the Ancient Greeks belted their tunics all the time, right?! In all seriousness I am so glad you liked my versions of your ideas, even though they did end up deviating a little bit!

      And yes, I hear ya on the weird personal rules thing! Until a couple of years ago, I completely banned myself from wearing stripes, because I was convinced they made me look huge. I'd look at people wearing stripes and sigh with envy. I'm so glad you forced me to hop out of my box and do belted tops again! Thank YOU, hon! :)

      Delete
  3. I love all of the looks! I was too paralyzed to help. Because I am a dummy. But Liz did an amazing job! I love everything! My favorite is actually the belted look. I absolutely think youncan wear a belt this way. It shows your small waist.

    I think I am waiting on one more package. I am shipping Christmas presents to in-laws this week so I will let you know when I ship. I thought four more packages were coming but so far only three have arrived. Am I right or wrong about it being four?

    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, hon - you did suggest a Deer Shirt look to me! With my upholstery pants! I should totes wear and blog that!

      Anyway I'm sorry I'm such a dork and didn't check my blog for ages - I will email you my list! Don't worry about sending my stuff before Christmas, I'm sure you have too much to do already - you can just send it in the new year!

      Delete