Wednesday, 29 April 2015

Parisian Priorities


So a few weeks ago, we went to Paris. Which is less extravagant than it sounds when you live in London, since it's just a handful of hours away on a train. Victor's mother and aunt were visiting us, and neither of them had ever been to Paris. So we wanted to make the visit special for them. And they loved ever minute - my mother-in-law was initially refusing to go into "stupid churches", but guess who we found lining up to get into Notre Dame? 


By the way - I feel like I should be apologising for my shoes. Except I shouldn't, because when you're walking all over Paris with Victor in charge, you wear trainers or you DIE. At least the trainers match my nails and lipstick... I planned it that way, swearsies... I actually would have felt like quite the fashionista posing there right opposite the Louvre with my leopard coat draped over my shoulders if not for those damn shoes, but oh well. C'est la vie. 


One of the many reasons Paris is awesome is this one: It has a Sephora on practically every major street corner. Hence me posing with a Sephora bag, because the first one I saw, I dived right into and replenished all my depleted stocks of eyeshadow, lipstick and mascara - I even picked up some new colours! There are no Sephoras in the UK. At all. And their own-brand makeup is one of my favourite things ever, next to bunnies and melon-pan and Victor. Even if he does tend to walk your arse off on holidays. So yes - day one: Sephora and the Louvre. In that order. I have my priorities! 


6 comments:

  1. I just had a small heart attack when I read that there is not one Sephora in the UK. Not one?! Surely one will open soon?!
    Okay so I actually like the sneakers with your outfit. You pull it off spectacularly! I am serious! You look so fantastically Parisian in a nonchalant oh la la this is how you dress stylishly way. Perfect!
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there used to be Sephoras here - like maybe 10 years ago? Then they shut the whole chain down - so I doubt they'll be back. :( I always seem to manage to get hold of my mascara and stuff somehow, though!

      You have no idea how happy you made me that you like the sneakers!! Thank you so much!!

      Delete
  2. How fun! Kyle and I have been talking about a trip to Paris, but it would be quite extravagant for us! Hence why we're just talking about it and not actually planning it...yet. I think your look is so chic! Just crop out the shoes and voila! On city escapes, walking shoes are important, as much as I hate to admit it. I'd rather wear comfy (ugly) shoes if it means I can experience more. I do try to my best to make it work in a broken-in pair of flats. But I always have my sneakers on hand just in case! I'm glad you got to stock up on Sephora. Their liquid lip stain in Cherry Blossom is my new favorite lipstick. It's super pigmented and the color stays on. AND it's not $25+ like all of the other brands they carry!

    <3 Liz
    www.withwonderandwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, hon! I did try to crop the shoes out at first, but it just looked so weird... Since I get an inflammation in my left heel if I walk around in silly shoes for too long (siigh), I have to bite the bullet, haha.

      And whyyy are you so cruel to mention a new (to me), awesome-sounding Sephora product when I now have no way of picking it up?! :P Seriously though, I know what you mean - their own-brand stuff is the best stuff in the shop, and the cheapest, I mean...are we ALLOWED to be that lucky or is there a catch somewhere?! ;)

      Delete
  3. I love your Fight Club shoes. Your "we do not speak of them" comment made me laugh. I wore dresses with my trainers and carried a Starbucks bag through the streets of Paris. To quote you, I would have died trying to keep up with my husband and his friend in shoes that actually matched my dresses. Wearing the trainers meant I was able to "mind the gap," go up and down stairs, ride the carousel with no problems AND keep up with two fast walking men. Amelie's neighborhood was one of my favorite sites to visit too. I really like reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Yoga Girl, you're clearly a girl after my own heart! Sometimes, trainers are the only way - but at least the *rest* of our outfits didn't scream "tourist", right? Apparently Charlotte Gainsbourg wears trainers with her Burberry trench coat, and she's like, the Uber-Parisienne - so if *she* can do sneaker chic, who says we can't? :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete