Saturday, 27 May 2017

Style Change

Dress: Cath Kidston, Cardigan: H&M, Sandals: Birkenstock,
Bag + sunnies: Madewell, Watch: Anthropologie - all old.

So as I mentioned a while ago, I've noticed that my tastes have changed, and my style has been changing along with them. And weirdly, that doesn't so much mean the type of things I'm wearing, as the colours. I think maybe I was wearing so many colours that I just sort of lost track, know what I mean? And so I started to feel a need to pare down on the number of colours I was wearing. This has involved putting a whole bunch of stuff into storage at my mum's house, rather than getting rid of things altogether. Time may well come when I want to wear my neon yellow blazer again. Just not right now. I just needed some clarity in my wardrobe, I think. Some time away from the hot pinks and the Kelly greens. 
  

Now, probably in part due to blogging, I have a lot of clothes - so it's not like I even needed to go out and buy anything for this colour change, if you can call it that. It was more about picking out what I have that suits what I want my style to be right now. Shopping your own closet, as they call it. I mean, this dress and this cardigan, for instance. I've had them both for years, but I feel 100% comfortable and like myself in them. And they fit right into my updated colour palette, which basically consists of a lot of white, bright red, cobalt blue, blush pink, cognac, navy and army green. And black, duh. Also, I'm still keeping the stripes, polkadots, crazy patterns and brocade pants, because who doesn't love brocade pants, right?   


Sometimes, it feels good to take a step back and reassess what you've got. I mean, look at that "updated" colour list - it's still pretty long. And there are secondary colours, too, like orange, lilac, burgundy, mustard and mint, which I've recently decided I can wear even if I am kind of on the pale side. (Baby steps with the mint, though - in this outfit, I'm just wearing my mint watch.) I'll never ever qualify as a minimalist by anybody's standards, but that's okay. I like having a nice big selection to get dressed from, just not, you know, as big as it used to be. Like having one shade of the same colour, instead of five. Except when it comes to jeans. Ahem. It's still an ongoing process, but if very much feels like a step in the right direction. 

Anyway, who am I, blogging three times in the one week? Enough of the waxing philosophical, already, let's have an outtake: 


Because big wind = big butt. WHOOSH!

2 comments:

  1. I've noticed that as I get older the less I like patterns on myself. I love striped tops but every time I try one on I feel uncomfortable in them. So weird. It's the same with florals and polka dots. I'm turning into a Plain Jane. Aaaaackkk!
    xo,cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, maybe your style will swing back again? Just put those printed things in storage for now, I'd say, and embrace the stuff you do feel comfortable in! How strange, for you it's patterns, for me it's certain colours...!

      Delete